Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My Gardening Notebook

This is my Gardening Notebook. Yes, I am a geek, I guess. I am one of those people who make lists, and this was my solution to all my gardening lists. It is a 3-ring binder, the ones that have the see-through pockets on the front, side, and back, so you can slide a piece of paper in, and still see it. The paper in front simply states 'Flowers & More. I would love to make a prettier, more creative one, when I get the time. In the front inside pocket I have a packet of pictures of the garden in progress, shipping lists, generally stuff that needs to be filed in the binder. There are sections labeled for perennials, annuals, bushes, roses, herbs, trees, vegetable garden, gardening maps, shipping papers, and empty paper.

Here is a page from my perennial section. Each page represents a letter in the alphabet, and I clip apart and glue my seed packets down (I use the common names, it's easier for me). That way when I save seeds, I can always be able to tell someone exactly what I am giving them. Here is a page from the rose section, I have glued all the labels from the pots in here, not necessarily in order this time.
This is the page I slip into the back of the notebook, it is a drawing of my garden, with sections numbered. I did this so I could make notes as to what needs to be moved next year, what needs to be added, I just put the bed number on the paper.
What do you think? Yes, I am such a garden freak. Next I will post a picture of this drawing, with lines to show where I will be adding flower beds next year. Hope you enjoyed seeing this, I'll let you know that I have never shown this to anyone, (maybe for fear they would consider me insane). But I do so enjoy doing it!

4 comments:

Nickie said...

I think its a good idea-----

(I'm gonna go get me one!)

Wicked Gardener said...

Wow - very organized. I keep a blog so I don't have to keep a notebook. I was never very good at it.

David in Greensboro, NC said...

I love your notebook, Christine. I'm impressed that you are so diligent about organizing it like that. I'm making the attempt to keep a garden journal this year--I hope I can do it. Thanks for letting us see what a good one looks like!

Christine said...

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words!