Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I Need Ideas!!

A while back I posted about a problem area of mine, and now that I have a digital camera, here it is:
Ugly, huh? The windows on the left go into the dining room, and the ones on the right are to the family room. The stairs also go into the family room, and this is the door we use the most. We have an air conditioner, guttering, and all the utility boxes to contend with. A trellis would have to not block the utility boxes or the windows, and I couldn't grow anything on it, because it would have to be able to be moved. I plan to build some sort of low screen for the air conditioner, any other ideas? The steps and door here face straight north, but it gets some sun in the summer.
This is a picture of the front porch, I have managed to do a little landscaping here. I realize it's hard to see, with everything hibernating. Straight right of this picture would be the dining room windows, with a fireplace in between.
Hopefully we will get around to repainting the shutters and trim next year, I don't really like the dark color. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!

3 comments:

tonya said...

I don't pretend to know anything about landscaping but I did run across this site while trying to figure out some for my own and thought it kind of useful. Maybe you can get some ideas from here. Also, one option that I can think of is painting the items you want to hide the same color as you home and adding plants that will pull the eye away from what you are trying to conceal. Hope this helps a little. Oh, here is the site address.
http://landscapingideas.the-landscape-design-site.com/

Christine said...

Thanks! I will definitely check it out!

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

What I would do is build a lattice fenced in area for the utility things with enough space around it for air flow to get to the air conditioner. I'd gate it to allow access. I'd put in an attractive, but functional path & top the gate with an arbor & grow some kind of vine on it. Then, in front of the fence I'd put something low growing that would allow air to move over it. I hope that helps get your brain started so you can come up with more ideas.