Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Sweet Potatoes

Yesterday I decided to get my sweet potatoes started. Well, get my starts started. I tried growing sweet potatoe slips before, but I did the cutting them in half lengthwise and pushing them into dirt thing. This time I decided to do the toothpick- water in a jar thing.


Back in November right before Thanksgiving, sweet potatoes were 17 cents a pound, and I bought like four bags full. Luckily, I still have a few, so I didn't have to buy any. One even had a few sprouts already! So this is what I ended up with, I think they look kinda neat in the window. I just hope the gnome doesn't get thirsty and drink all the water. I bought him for $2 back in October at a garage sale. I also bought a shovel and wheelbarrow his size, I just have a find the perfect place for them this year. Maybe I need a fairy garden like Carol has?

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Ah...sweet potatoes. God's perfect food. We can't grow them here, I don't think. At least that's what my sister tells me. They do look cute sitting there on the windowsill.

Katie said...

I think the gnome might not appreciate the presence of garden fairies. He looks kinda mean...!

Christine said...

Sherry, you are kinda North a bit, when I lived there I was just beginning to garden, so I don't think I tried them.

Katie, I though the very same thing when he first took his post there, but he kinda grows on you. Maybe he would like a place out under the trees, sitting on a log among the forget-me-nots.