Thursday, January 17, 2008

Vegetable Garden Plan II


Okay, here is number two. I guess I'll start with the basics. My vegetable garden is 70 by 70 feet, as of this year. It was 50 by 50 feet last year, but in September I moved the grape vines that were on one end to another spot, so I could increase the size of the garden. If you look real close you can just make out the square of the garden in the top of the picture. Sorry, I could have taken a better picture, but I didn't realize what it looked like until I pulled it up on the computer, and frankly, it's just too cold to go outside and get a new one. I have 19 different vegetables and 3 fruits in the garden plan this year, we'll have to see if it all comes together as I hope. I also plan to order some different fruit seeds from rareseeds.com, I have a tendency to plan way more than I can truely accomplish, but I'm ordering kiwi seeds, passionfruit seeds, huckleberry seeds, kiwano and narajilla seed. Yes, all that plus my vegetables, flowers, kids, and maybe a garden on the other side of the block. That is a story for another day, though. Don't let me forget to tell it. It's building up to be a very busy year.
The first year we were here I tilled part of the garden area, but it was already June, so not much got planted that year. I added sawdust from a woodworking place here in town, huge bags that were taller than me, and about two feet wide in both directions. Last year I added more sawdust (about 10-15 bags), and a huge pile of manure from a farmer, which had to be dumped by the road and moved by the wheelbarrow load. Every year I add all the leaves from raking most of the property, which the kids help rake. Improving the soil is so important in vegetable gardening. You don't absolutely have to, but boy, does it help the yields.
One last thing. I have read several places that adding a book of matches in the bottom of the hole when planting peppers helps them grow. Has anyone tried it, and the stick matches are the same thing, aren't they?

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Whoa.....I can't wait to hear the feedback on the matches theory. I am planning for lots of peppers this year, so I'd like to know the answer to that one. Actually, that might not be a bad science experiment for the kiddos!