Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Greenhouse is Finished

My hubby (Jeff) decided that with a little bit of the tax return we needed to finish the greenhouse, which, of course, got no argument out of me. For my last birthday, in October, my Mom got me the translucent plastic for the roof. The heavy plastic had been torn off by a storm just a month before. Here is the finished product!I need to repaint the door when it gets a little warmer, but the brick sidewalk is finished all the way from the back door to the greenhouse.
In this picture you can see the end of my rose trellis that goes along the garage. I don't have the greenhouse heated, so my plants will have to wait until March (hopefully early March) to get moved out there. Although I do have a couple of heat lamps leftover from when I had chickens, I just haven't had a chance to set them up, and test to see how hot it would get if I left one or both on for the night. I'm running out of room in the sewing room, so I may have to find the time very, very soon. Jeff also put up another shelf on the wall, and made a new bench for in there. I just have to spend an hour or two out there and get it all cleaned up, and I will post a picture of the inside. I do have some plants in there, some from last year that never got planted outside for one reason or another. The only thing I wish was different is I would love it attached directly onto the house, it would be easier to spent time in it here and there, and I do so much LOVE to check on the plants during the day. And on a sunny winter day it gets quite warm in there, and I have to open the door. I have mentioned to Jeff that if he put in a window between the garage and the greenhouse, I could open the window and heat the garage a little.

6 comments:

Tina said...

I am sooo green with envy!
Very nice. Fabulous idea to heat the garage with the greenhouse! You know...it might warm it up enough to put plants in there too. lol.

Christine said...

Except that the garage has no windows. I have wanted a greenhouse for years, I guess I have proved to hubby that I will use it by starting plants every year, in gigantic numbers!!!!

Meryl said...

Yay for you! I'm so jealous of all the wintery greens you can grow!

Katie said...

Wow - that's awesome! A great do-it-yourself idea. And it seems quite a bit easier than a freestanding one. Great post!

Christine said...

Meryl, I going to start some lettuce and spinach in some plastic window box planters I bought half price last fall. I didn't even think of it until I was in the greenhouse today and they screamed 'use me'.

Katie, it really was a do-it-yourself, down to the very drawing. Hubby did all the major work, bless his heart.

Shady Gardener said...

Wow! Your very own greenhouse. How wonderful! I like the idea that a window would help heat the garage, some. Suppose he'll take you up on it?

Nice trellis. :-)