Friday, February 22, 2008

Ten little chickens


It was an honest, innocent trip to the farm store. I promise. Jeff and I ran to the next town, and I mentioned I needed to go to the farm store to get a heat lamp bulb for the heat lamp to put in the greenhouse. Then I saw these little things. Well, to be honest, I saw the bunnies first, but I wasn't as interested in them. But CHICKENS, well, thats a different story. I had them once, a few years ago at a different house, and really wanted to have them here. So I talked Jeff into letting me have ten. Two each of five different kinds. My plan is to keep them inside as long as they will fit in this old birdcage, them make a spot for them in the greenhouse under a table, with a board as a fence. Then when it is warm enough I will build a small pen for them in the yard, and I will just make a 'tent' of sorts for them to get out of the sun, and some crude nesting boxes. Maybe by summer I will have my own eggs to go with some free fertilizer! (Yes, of course, there is a little gardening in this post, too)

6 comments:

Diana said...

They are so cute. My husband's family raised chickens when he was little. They had 57,000. No kidding. He's not so fond of chickens! I think yours are adorable. Fresh eggs sound wonderful.

Sherry at the Zoo said...

I have several friends who have chickens and you can definitely tell the difference in the eggs. I've wondered if I could keep 5 or 6 chickens in the back yard and keep them safe from the 6 cats and 3 dogs. One of my friends said that there are really nice nesting boxes/cages/runs that you can buy off the internet...I wonder how many eggs those chickens would have to lay before it would offset the cost?

Christine said...

Diana- That's a LOT of chickens!! Does he still eat chicken? Or is he now a beef and pork man? My Mom had chicken a lot growing up, and she's just getting to where she likes it again.

Sherry- We're actually building one. I'll post the story behind that tomorrow. I have seen people simply use 5 gallon buckets on their sides for nesting boxes.

Diana said...

Oh - he eats chicken, but he can sure tell you stories about cleaning out all the chicken#@*&^! You really don't wanna know!!!

Nickie said...

awww!!!

emmy koehne said...

i really like your blog! i'm doing a scrapbooking project about women with family farms. would you want to help? i'm a student at k-state who loves rural life and gardening!
my email is: emmykoehne@gmail.com
i hope you contact me!