Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Planting, planting, planting

I know, I know, I meant to blog on Monday. It's been a crazy week, and today is the first day I have felt good. I have got a lot done today, it helped that Emily took a very, very, very, long nap.


I worked in the garden this morning. I planted all my pepper plants, and then planted a bunch of seeds. I'm not done, but here's what I planted today:
Peppers- Hot- (56), Jalapeno, Anaheim, and Tam Jalapeno
Peppers- Sweet- (92), Giant Keystone, Orange, Gold Marconi, Red Marconi, Paprika, and Pimento
Pumpkin- Giant Atlantic- One plant that I had started from seed.
Pumpkin- Amish Pie and Jack-O-Lantern
Okra- Clemson Spineless
Squash- Yellow, and Zucchini
Cucumbers- Boston Pickling, Homemade pickles, and a few Ashley (they were free seeds)

The bad part is that when I got done with all the peppers I realized I had not planted any California Wonder, so I knew I had missed some in the greenhouse. I should be able to find a spot to squeeze them in. I am trying something new this year in the garden. I have had a hard time in the past with forgetting which variety I planted where. This year I am going to try saving seed, so I had to come up with a way to keep track of what everything is. I read in a magazine about using old mini-blinds as markers, and I must say, I really like this one. I cut the blinds into root-long pieces, and wrote the name on with a permanent marker. I may have to touch up this summer, but it has helped so much today in remembering what I planted in what row!

And last, but not least, here is a picture of my bleeding hearts. The flower beds are filling up nicely, my goal is to have them all full by fall.

5 comments:

Katie said...

I was going to ask if you sell the produce because you planted a lot of it, and then I realized you have seven kids.

I can see now why you planted so much! That's great that you're growing enough food to feed your family.

Countryview Woodcrafts said...

Christine,
Your gardening makes me look like an amateur!! That is alot of produce, where on earth do you find time? You must be the hardest working woman in Kansas! Happy gardening!
Bill

Christine said...

Katie- I plan to spend the summer canning and freezing! Every bit I grow is a little bit we don't have to buy.

C.W.- Hopefully, it will be a lot of produce. I plan to keep a list of what I get out of the garden, so I can keep track of what I 'make' this summer

YayaOrchid said...

I just found your blog. I am intrigued by the plastic jugs in the rows. May I ask how it is you use them? I assume they hold water for each seedling? I would love to know your method. thank you!

YayaOrchid said...

I just found your blog. I am intrigued by the plastic jugs in the rows. May I ask how it is you use them? I assume they hold water for each seedling? I would love to know your method. thank you!