Monday, June 30, 2008

Massive Bee Balm

I happen to be 5'6 1/2" tall, and I took this standing on the ground, looking straight forward. What do you think? I personally have never seen Bee Balm get quite this tall. It could be the plentiful amount of rain we've had this year, or maybe I should check the seed packet label, you think?
I am having a terrible time with the vine borers this year. I have sat on my knees many times trying to dig the little worms out of my giant pumpkin plant. That poor thing is not looking good at all. And I will definitely have to replant squash this year. I picked my very first ripe tomato today!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!! I am still trying a remember to write everything down in my notebook as I harvest. I have picked two okra and two yellow squash, and of course more green beans. I think I will definitely have to plant a fall crop of beans if I want to have enough canned for the winter. But the potatoes will be done soon, so I should have enough room to start another big patch. I tried to till the bottom of the garden the other day, but it is still way too wet. I would love to have it dry out so I can till and harvest the potatoes, then it can rain again after I get the beans planted. I have heard it is just going to be a wet year, so everything might not happen just as I hope.
Jeff and the kids helped me weed the garden, and I must say, it is looking very good. There are still a few places to finish, but at least now there are more plants than weeds.

2 comments:

Nickie said...

My bee balm was supposed to be "dwarf".....

its about the same hight as yours!!


I've been trying to catch the vine borer moths--I've noticed a few flying about the plants the last few days. I have a split in the vine of one of my giant pumpkin plants while the one thats really doing great seems pest free so far---and to think, I thought it was toast when a rabbit ate it to the ground when I first planted it. That one has a massive will to live!

Sherry at the Zoo said...

Wow! that is some tall bee balm! Beautiful though!