Tuesday, July 22, 2008

For the love of Zinnias

I would really love to get a better picture of my zinnia bed later, but that just probably won't happen, and I know it! Jeff starting repairing the roof last week, and worked and worked all weekend. His Dad and brother came to help, so my job was to make pitcher after pitcher of iced tea and fill their cups. Abby's birthday was Saturday and I feel really bad that I haven't posted a picture like I did everyone else.
This afternoon Timmy and Cameron (one of the two I babysit on Mon and Tue) decided to pick a ton of mint from the yard and 'sprinkle' it all over the house to make the house smell good. I'm rather hot, so it simply upset me when I saw the mess, but at some point I will giggle when I tell that story!
I have tomatoes to can! I used to have one of those squeezo strainers, and I haven't seen it since the last move. I loved that thing, I keep hoping I will come across it some time when I'm going through boxes in the garage. In case some don't recognize the name, it's a gadget you attach onto the counter and after washing and cutting your tomatoes you put them through it and it separates the skin and seed from the pulp and juice. It makes canning tomatoes a breeze, and if I don't find it this summer I will have to ask for a new one for Christmas.
I was given three boxes of apples on Saturday too. So I will be making applesauce, hopefully tomorrow. We ate squash with our dinner last night, yum, and fried okra sounds good tonight. Aaahhh, the joys of summer.

2 comments:

Countryview Woodcrafts said...

Christine,
I used to do alot of canning myself but it has been so hard for me to get back into the swing of things since my breakdown in '95. I want to, I just don't seem to find the motivation. Anyway, I still think you must be the hardest working woman in Kansas! Anyway, try to stay cool and have a great day.
Bill

Nickie said...

i know you must be very busy with all your canning, but how are your pumpkins doing? You have a good shot at winning as mine was hit with disater LOL